Saturday, November 23, 2013

"starstruck", a finished quilt and lessons learned

If you've been following my blog for any amount of time, you have probably heard me going on and on about my star-flower quilt along quilt. I've been working on it since mid-summer. I'm happy to say that it is finally (FINALLY) done. Pieced, basted, quilted and bound. I don't think I've ever been happier to finish a quilt.


I'm calling my quilt "star struck". It measures 66 inches by 72 inches. The fabrics are Happy Go Lucky, by Bonnie and Camille, some Avalon, and a few other stash fabrics that I had on hand. The backing is Aqua Kona Cotton.

The back was pieced with the remaining diamonds from the top. I included a few tiny stars made from the little scraps left over. I love it.


I free-motion quilted it using stacked lines within the stars and stippling everywhere else. I am hooked on free-motion quilting now. And it doesn't scare me anymore, so that's something.


It was bound in a red and white bias print from the "Scrumptious" line by Bonnie and Camille.
I need to get more of this print. It is so pretty.


It's been a bit of a journey. Here's what I've learned:
-    Know what you are getting into when you commit to a project
-    Backstitch at the beginning and ending of seams
-    Take the time to fix your mistakes when you figure this out, even after your quilt top has been sewn together.
-    Remember it's just fabric.... It's really hard to wreck it and if you do, the world won't come to a halt
-    Stretch your comfort levels... Try new things or techniques that intimidate you
-    Be inspired by other crafters but don't compare
-    Press, press, and press some more
-    Break the quilt down into chunk sized tasks
-    Be proud when you accomplish one of these tasks
-    Press your seams open
-    Don't bite off more than you can chew (ie. a really complicated quilt back)
-    But if you do, chew it well, and admire the effect
-    Sleep periodically
-    Don't be annoyed when your family asks for dinner.... Again.
-    If you are having a bad sewing day and making really obvious mistakes, put it down and try again tomorrow
-    Know when to pick out stitches and when to embrace them
-    Remember. It's just a quilt... Not brain surgery. No one will die (or even notice) if you make a mistake. Hopefully.
-    When you've put upwards of a hundred hours into a project, savor every stitch of the binding. Revel in it. You are almost there.
-    When free-motion quilting, periodically re-tighten your machine foot. Apparently they can wiggle loose.
-    Try to remember that you have children needing to be picked up from school. (If applicable)
-    When doing that, try to remember not to show up at the school looking like you've been hiding in a cave for a year with thread in your hair.
-    Do your best, not someone else's.
-    Know when to give up on an idea if you just don't like it. Don't be afraid to take time and re-evaluate.
-    Blink when quilting. (Took me a while to figure out why my eyes were hurting.)
-    Acknowledge that your quilt will not be perfect. BUT, it will be perfect for you.
-    Bury your thread knots as you go.
-    Know when to take a creative "break", but remember to come back.
-    And most of all ... don't give up.


Linking up with Amanda at Crazy Mom Quilts for finish it up Friday.

9 comments:

  1. So very pretty ..front and back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt is gorgeous. I think the pieced back is so much fun, and I loved reading about what you learned. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jasmine, for stopping by and saying hi. :)

      Delete
  3. Your list of what you learned is a keeper. Just love this quilt. You have two quilts in one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I love it so much already. :)

      Delete
  4. It's gorgeous, and your list is priceless. I'd love to know how you did this - is there a pattern or tutorial floating around out there that I've missed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennie! Amanda at A Crafty Fox has a star flower tutorial up on her blog. It's great. Definitely learned a lot. As for the backing, that was something sort of improv'd on my own. Let me know if you have any more questions. :)

      Delete
  5. This quilt is fabulous! And I love your list of things learned :-)

    ReplyDelete