Friday, May 16, 2014

concrete - a finished quilt

It's been a pretty incredible and busy week. This past weekend, my husband and I celebrated our 12th anniversary. My gift to him was his very own (first ever) quilt.

For the photo shoot, I decided to go back to where we took some of our wedding pictures.


It looks a bit different now, but still has a cool feel to it.


You can read more about the design process for this quilt in this post.


Be warned. (This post is pretty photo heavy.)

I really wanted to include my children in the making and documenting of this quilt. My oldest son was intstrumental in the basting and trimming process. And he's a pretty great photographer as well.

I decided to let them help me on a fun quilt photo shoot.


They had a blast. It was so windy under the overpass.


For the backing, I used this lovely Waterfront Park Birds in Flight print. It is so fantastic. I made three blocks of mini plus's to break up the print and add visual interest.



Four crocs photo-bombing. (I love this shot.)



I quilted it using a spiraling hexagon. I used one the hexagons from this Simply Style fabric as the point of origin.


As with any spiral quilting, the beginning was a difficult process as you push and pull most of your quilt through your machine over and over. Eventually, as you make your way from the epicenter, it gets easier.


It was too windy to get a really good flat picture, so I set up another shoot.

For binding I used a great 1/4 inch black and white stripe.


Our baby wanted in on the action...



He cannot help himself if there is a quilt on the floor.


All in all, having the whole family involved in this quilt process really added to all the love that went into every single stitch.


It's been washed, dried and crinkled. It kept him cool last night.



This post is for all the memories of years gone by, of a growing family, and of many, many years to come.


This week I'm doing something fun and entering this quilt into the Blogger's Quilt Festival. This is a first for me, and it's SO exciting.
AmysCreativeSide.com
Books
I am also linking up with Amanda Jean for finish it up Friday, Needle and Thread Thursday, and TGIFF.




31 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt and amazing pics. I love it! specially the spiraling quilting; your lines are so narrow! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your quilt!!!
    Lucky, lucky husband :)
    How fun to have the whole family involved it this project. Great photos too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely quilt, I love the plus signs. I made one myself but alas it's still a flimsy and it was made in March 2013. I think I'm scared of quilting it, but I like how you've quilted yours, it's really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your crosses quilt is so gorgeous! Love the great series of photo’s and the family involvement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt is beautiful, but I really love all of your photos, the last one just made me smile, because I can tell everyone was having fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a fabulous quilt Jade - full of wonderful memories. Really like the shots taken under the overpass!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the mini quilts on the back. very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful quilt and I love that it was such a family effort and still romantic at the same time. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful pictures and a beautiful quilt. good luck

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so amazing!!!! The quilting is TO DIE FOR too. How'd you find so much of that Waterfront print for the back?!- it's selling out so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my favorite quilt I've seen this time so far ! The color choices are striking together, so graphic and masculine, yet I LOVE THEM as a woman ! You told a great story, had wonderful photos, and seem to be a real PART of this quilt. Congratulations !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your post, your photos, and your story :) This is just great! I am also playing along in the festival for the first time and it is awesome to see so many lovely quilts and read their stories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's gorgeous and the pictures are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely stunning quilt, and I love that your kids were so involved in the process. Fantastic backing too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great quilt, I really love the colors and prints!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks great and I love how everybody became part of this quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous quilt and beautiful quilting. What a happy post! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now, I've looked at ALOT OF QUILTS over the past 2 days, and this is STILL MY FAVORITE !

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a special one for sure!

    Very pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dropped by from Blogger's Quilt Festival, great quilt and I'm loving seeing all those feet! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an awesome quilt for your hubby from all of you and your hexagon quilting is spectacular! I might have to use that on something very soon!!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  22. congratulations on your 12 year wedding anniversary! and the quilt. i'm over here giving you a standing ovation. it's quite wonderful!!! l love your photos, the fact that you got all of the family involved, and the backing is pretty darn clever, too. love it ALL! what a heartfelt and thoughtful gift. my question is, did he love it???

    thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday, Jade!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great quilt!! It looks confident.

    ReplyDelete
  24. visiting from crazy mum quilts. This is awesome. I did a plus quilt for my son and love it. Then made him a cushion too. It is a pattern that no matter the colours you choose always looks amazing. I have pinned your photo as I love your colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The spiral hexagon based on the print was truly inspired. That's so sweet you went back to a spot form your wedding photos, I'm sure the hubby will cherish this quilt. Visting form BQF :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I voted for your quilt! I love the front and back of this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful, such a fun mix of prints. Looks like a fun photo shoot with the family too:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this picture story! and how it develops, little feet just showing

    ReplyDelete